Saturday, October 9, 2010

Final Fantasy: Mystical Quest. . . I just don't know

The Final Fantasy series is probably the longest running successful series of RPG games to date.

I remember playing the first one for the NES and being enthralled.  When Final Fantasy 2 (4 if you lived in Japan) came out, I was awestruck.  The storyline was so deep and well developed.  The classic battle between Kain and Cecil over Rosa.  The awkward allience between Kain and Golbez to gain the crystals for dominance and revenge.

The game really had what it took to withstand the test of time.  Having played more than a few RPG's since, I can say this game left a mark on me.

Haven't played it?  Been living under a rock?  Are you too young to know what records look like?  Check it out at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV

A year later (1992) the SNES released a sequel to the FF series with the subname Mystic Quest.  I was 11 years old at the time and still thought Thunder Cats were sweet.  I bought the game played it through, and I remember enjoying it (just like Thunder Cats).  A few weeks ago, I was feeling nostalgic and gave FF:MQ a shot.  I played it all the way through and beat it.  Overall, I'd have to say that the game had all of the elements I'm looking for in an RPG, but something felt off about it.  I'd say it's something like playing the Cliff Notes version of a real RPG.


If you need to figure out what I'm talking about I've got a few screen shots of the last boss battle that might help you understand.

Default intimidating final castle name...

Default boss is waiting for you in an alternate space universe...

Default boss gives you plot twist right before fight...

Default boss taunts you while you fight him...

Default boss changes his form during battle...

Default boss changes his form again...

Default boss continues to change his form until the last fight is actually boring...

+
====
+

So, if anyone has played this game before, I encourage you to tell me what you thought of it, because frankly I have no clue if I hated this game or if I loved it.  It's the peanut butter and pickles of RPG's.

25 comments:

  1. never played this game, but looks fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting read...

    check out my new bubbles on Enhanced by MS Paint :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like playing FF

    check out GTL Everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought of it as a child's FF rather than a real FF...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess they marketed it to be simple, because they thought American gamers didn't want to play a long, interesting RPG.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nervous to play games like that. They take so long... meh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never played the game, looks...interesting.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great game, I miss those days of addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a good follow up post to the previous one

    I have a new post on GTL Everyday too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really good game, what a nostalgia blast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought it was great, nice break from the usual RPG with something unique. Not really fitting into the FF name, but a good solid game.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Believe it or not, i have neverrrr played any final fantasy game, EVARRR!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peanut butter and pickles is a weird way to put it, but I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Read man, I never got into FF but I LOVE kingdom hearts which has the characters in it lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the comments on my blog :)

    I have new bubbles on Enhanced by MS Paint!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember playing it with my cousins a couple years ago. I enjoyed it. I think I would still like it if I played now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never got into Final Fantasy, too god damn long for me.

    ReplyDelete