Sunday, October 17, 2010

Debate on How to do Retro

I've been having this debate with a friend for some time about nostalgia and why we would choose to play Stealth over Halo Reach.

He tells me that true nostalgia is about the overall feeling of the sharp cornered nintendo controller in your hand. The way a game slows down when more than three things are moving at once. That sort of forced "bullet time" which kind of gave you the edge to defeat the enemies. The opportunity to see that zombie eating your fellow Stars team member and when the tension is at it's highest, having to wait three more seconds while the disc loads.

While I can't disagree with that, I have a different interpretation of nostalgia. Sometimes, playing an older game the limitations of technology prevented a designer from realizing his actual dream. I purchased two (Wireless) Logitech Cordless Rumblepads and an HDMI cable. This way, I can download roms (legally of course) of the games I used to own and replay them on my flat screen TV with scaleX or super eagle graphics upgrades. Super eagle is nice! It makes an 8-bit game seem 16-bit. The game has more vibrancy and life. The game plays as it was meant to be played, without delay or graphical glitches.

Moreover, I am not forced to fight against my own bodily functions and personal life, because emulators allow you to save the state of the game in that exact spot at any time. This way, if you're tired you can go to sleep and beat Super Mario tomorrow, or after work. Not to mention that bumping a Nintendo could mean your game is over with, bumping a computer does not have that effect at all.

So Neo, the choice is yours:

The new school upgrade to old school games...
Or the true old school experience in it's original glory and frustration.

15 comments:

  1. LOL, the SNES is very cool, I used to play Donkey Kong and Mario World everyday. Good deals, bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emulating old favourites with a gamepad does make for a more enjoyable experience some times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Satan hahaha satan.
    The feeling of playing an old school game on your psp just feels great. The speed, the color everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet deals! Now I can nostalgia on the cheapness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah that was the worst part about most of those old games, not being able to save.

    ReplyDelete
  6. True old school, although it can be frustrating. But if you want to be retro, you have to use retro. Oh, and I am not retro at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An original controller would be nice but emu all the way as long as you arent keyboard and mousing it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you bro, the fact that the designers weren't able to fully project their dream is limited to 8bits doesn't mean you have to be stuck with it even though the technology is available today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is no wrong way to do retro

    well there are a couple but rly just if ur retro in your heart you wail be foine

    ReplyDelete
  10. SNES? I remember playing Atari and NES.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Retro games, retro console. I never did like emulators, they just didn't feel the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nintendo 64 for me, major nostalgia... represents about 80% of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mario brothers <3 nostalgia at its finest in here

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd have to vote for the limiting technology, feels more natural and more memorable experiencing the same tension and frustrations over again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The hardest part of getting into emulated oldschool games is finding a pc gamepad with a decent dpad.

    ReplyDelete